The Silver City Fire Department is dedicated to being actively engaged in the community through public education and fire prevention, while diligently maintaining a strong state of preparedness to respond to emergencies.
The Silver City Fire Department was established as a volunteer organization to service the Town of Silver City in early 1875 with the purchase of the Towns first fire engine, reportedly the first in the State of New Mexico. At one point during the Great Depression the town offered housing to those willing to perform volunteer service as a firefighter. Throughout its history the department has evolved through fully volunteer, partially paid, and fully paid career department status. In late 1967 the Silver City Fire Department became a full-time paid department.
Within six months of this decision the newly hired chief had built up a force of 14 paid firefighters. The Silver City Fire Department has since proudly served the community for over 13 decades.
The Silver City Fire Department is comprised of 21 shift personnel and 4 support staff. These personnel operate out of the two stations and one administrative office located in Silver City. The Silver City Fire Department services an estimated 10,545 citizens living within City Limits and 31,002 throughout the county, and covers roughly 130 square miles of territory.