Find a video update on the local response to the coronavirus outbreak here. In addition to your local health resources, the New Mexico Coronavirus Hotline is available at 1-855-600-3453.
Dial 911 for Police, Fire and Emergency Services
Breaking News
from the Town of Silver City
       Apr. 1, 2020                 

About Silver City Legal & Public Notices
This section provides an archive and record of recent and past Legal Notices for the About Silver City, including notices for meetings and events that have already taken place:

Open Meetings Act Compliance
Public access to the proceedings and decision-making processes of governmental boards, agencies and commissions is an essential element of a properly functioning democracy. We believe strongly in open government. Meetings held by public officials to discuss public business, particularly when conducted with the public taxpayers’ money, are the taxpayers’ business. The Open Meetings Act is one of New Mexico’s 'good government' laws, and it deserves the full support of all New Mexicans.

Learn more about the Open Meetings Act!

Have your say!

We also welcome comments on the Town's web site and other issues!

Opt in to the County's Reverse Emergency Notification System!
An anonymous donor has funded the purchase of a Reverse Emergency Notification System for Grant County. Register your phones, cell phones and email addresses to receive alerts of evacuations, emergency events, road closures and other significant events. The link below will take you to Grant County's Reverse Emergency Notification System for the County. Learn more!

Silver City has updated its annual Parks and Activity Directory, a booklet with information for all ages about all kinds of activity opportunities available in Silver City. Learn more!

Learn more about wildfire dangers and how to create defensible spaces around your home, business and property. Learn more!

Sanitation Schedule
Schedules for the Town of Silver City recycling and refuse pick-up vary on some national holidays. See if your pick-up is effected!

Other useful sites:
Check out these sites for information on living, working and doing business in Silver City, Grant County, and New Mexico.

Town of Silver City
Box 1188
Silver City, NM 88062

Frequently Asked Questions
The following information is intended to provide an overview of the services provided by the Town. If you have further questions please call City Hall Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Our telephone number is (575) 538-3731.

How can I get an item on the Council agenda?
What municipal voting district am I in?
How do I get a Town utility tap?
How do I get Town water and sewer service?
How do I get my garbage picked up?
Where is the landfill and what can I take there?
How do I avoid a past due account?
How do I recycle?
How do I get my water turned off for repairs?
How do I get my water meter tested?
How do I get my water tested?
Do I need to register my business and if so, how?
Where and when do I renew my business registration?
Where do I apply for a Vendor's Permit?

Where can I find information about the cemetery?
How do I contact Animal Control?
Where can I buy a Town zoning map?
Where do I register my chickens and livestock with the town?

Please complete the "Request for Agenda Item" form and attach your documentation. Submit it to the Town Clerk at City Hall, 101 W. Broadway. You may fax it to 575-534-6377 or email it to

Your request must be turned in no later than 10:00 a.m. on the Tuesday before the scheduled Council Meeting. For instance, if the Council Meeting that you would like to have an agenda item is on Tuesday, February 9th, then the "Request for Agenda Item" form must be submitted to the Town Clerk by 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday, February 2nd. If you have any questions, please call the Town Clerk at 575-534-6346.


For new utility taps please contact the Utilities Department at 534-6365. If a pavement-breaking permit is needed for installation of a tap outside the Town limits, please contact Dolores Dominguez, at the office of the Grant County Manager, at 575-538-3338, for fees and information.
(back to the top)

To obtain Town water and/or sewer service, an application is required and is available in the City Hall Utility Billing offices. There is a 5% tax on all Town services. Town ordinance requires a $200 deposit for each water account (meter).  For property owners, the deposit remains on the account for one year from the date of the first billing. If payment is on time each month during that period, the deposit will be credited to the account in the thirteenth month. For other customers, the deposit will be held until the customer moves from the Town service area. When service is terminated, a meter reading will be taken on the final day of service, a final bill will be calculated. The deposit will be applied to the account for any outstanding charges and any balance mailed to the customer's forwarding address. Any balance left owning will be billed.
If you move to a different residence within the Town’s service area, your deposit will be transferred to the new address. A $10 transfer fee will be charged. All charges accumulated at the first address will also be transferred to the new account if not paid.
Checks returned to the Town for non-sufficient funds will have a $31.50 fee added to the amount of the check to be paid in cash or by money order or cashier's check only. Customers who submit more than one non-sufficient funds (NSF) check will become “cash only” customers.

Please call City Hall at 575-538-3731 for questions related to billing.
(back to the top)

Your water meter is read each month. The meters are read five to seven days prior to the billing date. These dates are affected by weekends and holidays, so the billing and reading dates are approximate each month.  Your bill is calculated on your water consumption. In certain rare instances, an estimate may be used based on the prior three months’ average consumption. Please call City Hall at 575-538-3731 for current water rates.
(back to the top)

The sewer portion of your bill is based on your water consumption. The rate you are charged will be adjusted annually in March using your average consumption for the months of December, January and February. Please call City Hall at 575-538-3731 for current sewer rates.
(back to the top)

Residential garbage pick up is included in the monthly water/sewer bill and is available only within the Town limits. Garbage should be placed in receptacles on the curb.  Trash is picked up one day a week only. For current residential pick up rates or for your collection day, please call Public Works at 575-388-4640. Collection begins at 7:00 a.m. and continues until all the day's route is picked up. Residential garbage can be placed out at the curb after 5:00 p.m. on the day before the scheduled collection day.

The Town offers a special billing for senior citizens. To qualify for this special rate, please note the following:

  1. The water bill must be in the name of the senior.
  2. ID indicating customer’s age is 65 or over is required.
  3. It is preferred that the senior fill out the application in person. If the senior is unable to do so, someone else can represent the senior with a letter of authorization and the senior’s ID.
  4. This discount is only given with the use of a 35-gallon bin and is a discount for the landfill fees portion of the bill.

(back to the top)

A landfill fee is included in the monthly water/sewer bill. All residents pay this fee whether or not they use the landfill. You may also take garbage to the landfill, which is located approximately three miles south of town at 318 S. Ridge Road. All loads hauled to the landfill must be covered and secured. Failure to do so may result in a citation and a fine. The only hazardous materials accepted at the landfill are household pesticides, paint, and motor oil. These are not put into the landfill but are stockpiled for safe disposal at another site. Yard waste is accepted for shredding. Scrap metal is accepted but is not land filled. Building materials are also separated. If you have other questions about what is accepted at the landfill or need further information please call Southwest Solid Waste Authority at 575-388-8051. Commercial landfill users should also contact Southwest Solid Waste Authority to arrange for landfill use.
(back to the top)

Please read your bill carefully each month and note the due date. The current bill is due within 30 days of the billing date and becomes past due after the due date. You must pay the bill in full before the due date to avoid a late fee. A late fee is applied seven days after the due date. The late fee is 10% of the unpaid balance. Water service is disconnected 15 days after the bill is past due. There is a reconnection fee each time water service must be restored. The Town policy is to collect the entire bill including past charges, current charges, and the reconnect fee before water service is restored.
(back to the top)

Recycling is strongly encouraged by the Town and is free of charge. Curbside pick up of recycling materials is scheduled on the same day as trash service. If you would like to recycle, please contact Southwest Solid Waste Authority at 575-388-8051 for a recycling bin. You can recycle cardboard, newspapers, magazines, office paper, and most junk mail without the envelopes. You can also recycle aluminum, steel cans, and glass bottles. Plastic bottles with number 1 or 2 stamped on the bottom can be recycled. You may also take recyclable materials to the convenience station at the landfill at 318 Ridge Road. More...
(back to the top)

Neither you nor a plumber should attempt to turn the water off at the meter at your place of service. This may result in damage to the meter for which you or the plumber can be billed. If you need the water turned off, please call City Hall at 575-538-3731. There is a $5.00 fee per turn off for this service. Installation of a shut off valve on your side of the meter is strongly encouraged so that it is not necessary for you to call for turn off for a plumbing repair or other emergency. A shut off valve is required on all new taps.
(back to the top)

If you request a meter test and the meter is found to be defective, there will be no charge for the test and a new meter will be installed. If the meter is not defective your account will be charged a fee. For a meter test, please call City Hall at 575-538-3731.
(back to the top)

The Town has water sample testing kits available from our Utility Billing Department for $40.00. The sample is tested at our Waste Water Treatment Plant. The test is accepted at the plant on Tuesdays between 7:00 a.m.  and1:00 p.m. Tests can be taken to the plant at other times but the fee will be $60.00. At the time of purchase you will be provided with the kit, instructions for collecting the sample, and a map to the Waste Water Treatment Plant. Questions about the water testing kits and the test results should be directed to the Water Treatment Plant at 575-388-4981.
(back to the top)

All new and relocated businesses operating within the Town limits must be registered or licensed with the Town prior to opening; this also includes home businesses. Business registration and license applications are processed at the Community Development Department, Mon.-Fri., 11am-12pm and 2-3pm, at the City Hall Annex Building, 2nd Floor, corner of 12th and Hudson Streets, phone number of (575)534-6348.

Business License applications are required for particular business proprietors such as Auctioneers, Gasoline/Diesel/Propane Filling Stations, Circuses/Carnivals, Wrestling or Boxing/Theatrical or other Public Exhibitions, Pawnbrokers, Recyclers, Second-Hand Dealers, Wholesale Gasoline/Propane/and Oil Dealers.

The Community Development Department also provides for your convenience, New Mexico State Taxation and Revenue applications and CRS numbers which are required by the State for all businesses. The annual registration fee is $35.00 for business registrations and some licenses.  Other fees may vary for licenses according to Town of Silver City Ordinances. A commercial site plan review may be required with the approval of the Town’s Community Development Director prior to registering or licensing new commercial businesses. In addition, a $25.00 fee for inspection by the Town’s Fire Marshal may also be required prior to the issuance of the business registration or license. For more information and to download the Town’s Business Registration or License form please click here.
(back to the top)

The business registration or license period is one calendar year. The annual business registration or license fee is billed in December for the following New Year and should be paid by March 15th to the Town City Hall.  April 15th a penalty of 10% of the license fee will be assessed for late filing.
(back to the top)

Various permits are processed by the Community Development Department such as Peddler, Transient Merchant, Site Transient Merchant, Special Event and any other permits that are applicable to site plan review, fees, inspections and Town Department approvals. Contact the Community Development Department at (575) 534-6348, or the Code Enforcement Division at (575) 534-6344 or 534-6367 for further assistance. You may also inquire at the Community Development Department, City Hall Annex Building, 2nd floor, corner of 12th and Hudson Streets. Mon.- Fri., 11am-12pm and 2-3pm.
(back to the top)

The Town maintains Memory Lane Cemetery and has plots available. For more information please call City Hall at 575-538-3731.
(back to the top)

The Animal Control Officer is housed in the Police Department and can be reached through Central Dispatch at 575-388-8840. Animal Control is responsible for collecting stray animals within town limits.
(back to the top)

Zoning maps can be viewed here or by calling the Community Development Department at 575-534-6348.
(back to the top)

You can find the Town's permit application and requirements here.
(back to the top)

  Contact Us   Community Dev.   Finance   Library   Municipal Court   Personnel   Public Works & Parks   Purchasing   Town Manager   Utilities